LdM Academic Policies
Istituto Lorenzo de’ Medici aims to foster an academic study abroad environment in which students are stimulated to reach their full academic potential and in which academic quality is valued and nurtured.
All courses are taught in English, with the exception of Italian language courses (ITL and ITC codes).
Course Contact Hours
LdM courses usually involve 45, 60, or 90 contact hours per term. See course descriptions for details.
The standard course load for semester programs is 15-16 credits. During Summer and January Intersession, the standard course load is 3-7 credits per session. LdM courses usually involve 45, 60, or 90 contact hours per term: see course descriptions for details. We recommend that students take the standard course load to help ensure a successful experience.
Students must retain full-time status, with a minimum of 12 credits per semester and 3 credits per Intersession/Summer term. However, it is the students’ responsibility to know if their home institutions require enrollment for more than 12 credits or 3 credits respectively. Furthermore, students relying on financial aid are strongly encouraged to maintain a standard 15 credit minimum during the semester and a 6 credit minimum during short terms. Students may not drop or withdraw (with a “W” or “W/F”) from a course if it would bring them below the minimum number of credits. During short terms, non-credit offerings are available only in addition to credit-bearing classes.
Prerequisites and Level Tests
Various courses at LdM require students to have already completed specified prerequisites before the beginning of the program. Prerequisites are detailed at the end of course descriptions and are also available on the institute’s regularly published schedules.
Many studio art and design courses require students to take a level test upon arrival in order to confirm suitability for the course.
The following grading system applies to all LdM courses:
A = 100 – 93%, A- = 92 – 90%, B+ =89 – 87%,
B = 86 – 83%, B- = 82 – 80%, C+ = 79 – 77%,
C = 76 – 73%, C- = 72 – 70%, D = 69 – 60%
W = Withdrawal W/F = Late Withdrawal F = Fail
“W” – Withdrawal
Students who officially drop a class after Final Registration and before the “W” deadline will receive a “W” on their transcript. No credit will be awarded for the course.
“W/F” – Late Withdrawal
Students who officially drop a class after the “W” deadline and before the “W/F” deadline will receive a “W/F” on their transcript. No credit will be awarded for the course.
“F” indicates that:
• All the course requirements are complete but unsatisfactory by the end of the term.
• The student has dropped the course without submitting the official withdrawal form by the deadline.
• No credit will be awarded for the course.
NOTE: Courses that are officially dropped before Final Registration day will not appear on the student’s transcript.
Details regarding add/drop/withdrawal dates and procedures will be provided during the Orientation session of each term.
Pass/Fail and Incomplete
LdM does not offer Pass/Fail grades or Incompletes, only letter grades.
• Course attendance is a primary requirement for a responsible learning experience at LdM.
• Punctuality is mandatory. Students must arrive in class on time: any lateness or leaving class early will impact the participation grade and the Final Grade.
• Students are responsible for keeping track of their absences and for catching up on any missed work.
• For no reason (i.e., travel plans, family matters, etc.) will absences be excused.
• Make-up classes, also during reading days where necessary, are always mandatory as part of the course Program.
• Students will receive an “F” on each exam they miss.
• Students who leave LdM before the end of the term must fill out an Official Withdrawal Request form and return it to their advisor. Students who submit the form by the “W” Withdrawal deadline will receive a “W” for each noncompleted course. Students who submit the form by the “W/F” Withdrawal deadline will receive a “W/F” for each non-completed course. Students who leave LdM without submitting the form will receive an “F” in each noncompleted course. In all cases, students will not be eligible for credits or receive a refund.
• Students who absent themselves from courses will have their final grade penalized as indicated on the table at this link.
Italian National Holidays
As an Italian institute, LdM is obliged to follow the national criteria for local public holidays.
Auditing is not allowed at LdM. Students may attend only the courses listed on their Official Registration form.
Mid-Term and Final Exams
Mid-terms and final exams will be given only on the scheduled days that appear on each course syllabus and will not be moved under any circumstances, including illness, travel plans, family matters, etc. Exams are scheduled during normal class times, so more than one exam may be administered on the same day. Students are not allowed to make up any assessed in-class activities they have missed (including but not limited to quizzes, tests, etc.) under any circumstances, including illness, travel plans, family matters, etc.
A student who thinks that a grade has been assigned unfairly should bring this to the attention of the instructor during the term. Once the term is over, the Registrar’s Office handles those issues. If complaints cannot be resolved at this level they may be referred to one of the following, depending on the nature of the complaint: Dean of Students, Academic Committee, General Director. In the case of a dispute, their decision shall be final.