Policies and Rules
General Policies And Complaints Procedure
Policy of Non-Discrimination
LdM does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, national or ethnic origins in the administration of admission policies, educational policies, and/or any of the academic and non-academic activities available. In an attempt to be morally and academically fair towards all students, the administration of LdM bases its governing policies mainly on Italian standards.
Students with Learning Disabilities
One of LdM’s goals is to promote an environment of respect for all students. Based on current and official documentation of the disability, LdM provides assistance to these students. After official verification of the disability is on file in the Registrar’s/Dean of Student’s Office, one (or all when appropriate) of the following will be arranged: Italian language tutoring, administration of exams in separate classrooms, and extra time for completion of exams.
Istituto Lorenzo de’ Medici is committed to providing quality teaching and student services, which includes fair resolution of any occasional questions that students may feel need to be addressed. For all such there are persons of reference and two possible tiers. In the case of student learning problems that may be easily resolved we encourage communication between a student and his or her teacher. Depending on the nature of the problem, students are invited to inform their personal Student Advisor and/or the Housing Coordinator, and/or to speak to one of the Coordinators of the Italian Language Department. If not resolved at the foregoing level the issue should be referred to the LdM Academic Committee and/or the General Director.
In case of any form of infringement of the Istituto Lorenzo de’ Medici Rules of Conduct, or in every case of a health problem for a student, every LdM student agrees to permit LdM Directorate to notify the family about all information concerning the infringement or the health problem.
Right to Modify
It is the policy of LdM to adhere to the rules, policies, procedures and course offerings that are announced in this website. In exceptional cases, LdM nevertheless reserves the right to expand, delete, update or revise its course offerings, course content, and academic and administrative rules and procedures; to alter its fees and other charges; and to modify any other information described in this website whenever such changes are deemed necessary, and without prior notification. Every attempt has been made to ensure that the information contained in this website is correct.
Rules Of Conduct
Introduction and General Clause
Istituto Lorenzo de’ Medici takes seriously its academic mission of fostering the creative and intellectual potential of each of its students in an international environment that values tolerance and respect. We believe in the concept of informed decision-making and wish to promote healthy behavior.
In order to maintain an atmosphere that nurtures this potential, Istituto Lorenzo de’ Medici has established Rules of Conduct consistent with this goal.
By accepting admission to Istituto Lorenzo de’ Medici, students are accepting the conditions as described in these Rules of Conduct.
In addition, the Rules contained herein supersede other LdM publications or documents (e.g. housing flyers, residence life brochures or handbooks, etc.) Any changes to the terms and conditions of these Rules of Conduct will be communicated to students in writing and will replace the relevant portions of this text.
Each student is expected to:
• act as a responsible member of the academic community, in language, personal interactions and the treatment of property.
• treat others as they would like to be treated, and to recognize the inherent dignity and worth of every person in the community.
• behave and dress in classes according to the standards of a serious learning environment. Dressing in a disrespectful or offensive manner is not allowed. Appropriate dress and footwear during all studio art and cooking courses is required.
• refrain from using computers, tablets, and mobile devices during lectures.
• avoid eating and drinking during all lectures and/or academic activities.
• respect the personal and property rights of all other persons, of Istituto Lorenzo de’ Medici itself, and of the community at-large.
• be responsible in helping keep yourself and the community safe.
• work with the community to prevent vandalism, hate speech, physical violence and harassment.
• acknowledge that we are all different – in social class, sexual orientation, religion, philosophies, ethnic groups, cultural background, physical abilities, and so on – and strive to understand one another and protect and affirm the right of all persons to be themselves.